Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Don't Stop


Or actually I should have titled this post "Can't Stop". After watching the series finale of "The Sopranos" Sunday night, I can't seem to stop singing that damn Journey song they used at the end. I can't stop thinking about the ending, or the episode as a whole. I can't stop believing that it truly was the perfect ending for this unique show. Sure, at first I was irritated along with the majority of other fans for the abrupt ending leaving us all hanging (not to mention momentarily thinking that our DVR was broken). But the more time I've had to reflect on the entire series, (and watch it over again) and although I can think of a few more satisfying endings, I cannot imagine a more perfect one. Not to mention that we watched the final episode with Christa & John after enjoying Carmella's Ziti made from the recipe in The Soprano Family Cookbook. I also made cannolis in honor of poor Bobby Bacalieri and in homage to "The Godfather" ("Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.")

My theory is that David Chase finally proved the point he's been trying to make for 8 years. We are who we are, and no amount of money, power, family, or therapy can change that. If you were raised by a mother who withheld love and a violent mob-boss father, chances are you are going to be pretty screwed up. And if you are raised by a pampering, passive mother and a violent mob-boss father, again, chances are you are going to spend a good chunk of adulthood paying for some shrink's new Lexus. And the words of Livia Soprano rang true, "You are all alone in this world". Tony was left with more widows than earners on his payroll, and although his family is intact, are they still together because of love and loyalty, or because of the individual benefits each is receiving? Do I agree with Chase's take on family? Not necessarily. But did I enjoy the heck out of watching it all play out? You betcha. Not to mention that the finale was full of the hilarious little moments that only this can provide, such as:

*Our last image of Paulie, sunning himself with a reflector in front of Satriales, after being teased by Tony for admitting that he once saw the Virgin Mary at The Bing.

*Meadow: "What I said was, the state can crush the individual"

Tony: "New Jersey?"

*Agent Harris slapping his desk and exclaiming "We're gonna' win this thing!" after hearing of Phil's death

*The look Carmela gave Tony as he began to "go on and pity about" himself with AJ's shrink

*When Janice told Uncle Junior that Bobby was dead, his response was "Ambassador Hotel"

Anyway, it was a great ride, and I don't think we'll ever see anything quite like it again.

No comments: