Monday, February 01, 2010

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow

The most notable side effect from chemotherapy is hair loss, and statistically 100% of patients receiving the kind of chemo I am taking will lose their hair. The hair typically falls out about 2 weeks after the first treatment, so I decided this weekend since I was getting close to the two week mark to take matters into my own hands. Actually, the entire family took matters into their hands since we all took a turn cutting my hair. Doing it myself allowed me to retain some control over the situation, and to have a little fun with it rather than dwelling on the negative aspects of losing my hair. Don't get me wrong - I'm not happy to be sitting here typing this sporting the Mr. Clean look, but I think I feel better about it this way than if I woke up one morning with my tresses clinging to my pillow instead of my scalp. Cutting it before it got all scraggly also gave me the opportunity to donate the hair to Locks of Love, which is a very cool organization that makes wigs for children who have lost their hair due to a medical condition or treatment. Something I just learned about Locks of Love is that although they require 10 inches of hair to utilize in making a wig, they can accept hair at any length and if it isn't long enough they can sell the hair and use the proceeds to offset the cost of making their wigs. How cool is that?

I made a little video to memorialize the haircut, and as you'll see the kids really got into helping me. I guess it's not everyday you get to help your mom shave her head! The crazy hairdos the kids were wearing were Casey's idea.



I think my favorite look might have been this "punk Mommy" style. Maybe I was a skater chic or a punk rocker in a former life? It felt strangely comfortable.



I head back to the oncologist tomorrow for the second round of chemo, and I'm armed with some new drugs this time and hopeful for a smoother week than the first round. If not, at least I no longer require someone to hold my hair while I get sick!

9 comments:

Mike and Chelsea said...

your positive attitude amazed me!!!! LOVE the punk look! :-) I will be thinking about you and praying for you tomorrow and in the week to follow! Lots of love!

Unknown said...

Jen,
YOU ROCK!!
Thanks for sharing!
Love ya,
Min

Courtney said...

You are so beautiful inside and out! I am so proud of you and so amazed by you. Love you, Court

Graydon said...

You are amazing. You look absolutely beautiful. Now you fit right in with Rob.

CKM said...

Jen, absolutely beautiful. We love the video, the kids are so precious! Mark and I both think that your punk-rocker picture should be published, beautiful model you are! You ooze of faith and positive attitude while you chronicle your journey, you are so amazing!
We love you!
-The Moellers

CKM said...

Jen, we love the video! Mark and I adore the punk rocker picture and feel that it should be published as you are a beautiful model of perfection! Thanks for chronicling your journey, you are amazing as you ooze with your faith and positive attitude! We love you!
-The Moellers

tiffany said...

Loved this!! Your brave face and positive attitude are such an inspiration!! Your kids truly have someone special to look up to! Hope this round of chemo goes better than the first!

Melissa said...

Yep. You even look good bald. I found the video incredibly moving...you kick ass.

Jill Alderman said...

You are perhaps the bravest and strongest woman I have ever known. What a wonderful example you are for your little angels. We love you and appreciate you sharing such a personal experience. Corie and I both agree that you rocked the mohawk look! And I agree with the Moellers- you look like a model in that pic and it should definitely be published!