Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Off To The Races (Maybe)

Photo courtesy Churchill Downs
Last year my girlfriends nominated me to walk in the Survivor's Parade at the Kentucky Oaks, which for those who don't know is the filly race the day before Derby. The Oaks is now a huge fund and awareness raiser for breast cancer, and it was an honor and a thrill to be a part of it. I was right in the middle of chemo, and not particularly feeling my best. It was such an incredible boost to meet other women who were 5, 10, 15, even 40 year survivors - to see some tangible examples of how life would go on after cancer. I met women who had gone on to have more children, whose hair had come back, who went on to have remarkable achievements with cancer in their rearview mirror. I'm hopeful that maybe I can be that little boost to someone else this year. Where do you come in? Easy - just follow the link below and vote for me. Simple.

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/oaks/survivors/jennifer-carmel-indiana-0

Pass the word to anyone who might take a minute or two to vote for me - you'll be helping me and maybe someone else we haven't met yet.

No comments: