Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sciarpa


I finally finished my "DIY" Christmas gift from my Mom. She brought me back 4 skeins of this really beautiful yarn from her trip to Italy so I could make myself a really long, skinny scarf. I rarely treat myself to expensive yarn so this was alot of fun to work with, and I love the way it turned out. But by far the most interesting part about this project was my effort to find the Italian word for scarf to use as a title for this post. I found an English-to-Italian online dictionary, and was given 3 results for my query of the word "scarf". Sciarpa is the translation of the noun scarf, and mettere la sciarpa is the translation of "to wear a scarf". And then for the third translation I received: "masturbarsi strangolandosi", which means "to masterbate while strangling oneself". Hello, I'm sorry? What? Is this a phrase that commonly needs translating into Italian? What kind of freak is checking on this phrase before vacationing in Italy? Mom - maybe you should check with Carol on her Italian, because we may have solved the mystery of why the man at the drugstore was so rude to you two.

No comments: