Friday, August 08, 2008

Fair Game

I loaded up the kids this morning and joined some friends for a trip to the Indiana State Fair. I haven't been to a state fair since I was a junior in high school, and I have to admit that I recall the motivation for the visit was to gawk at all the rednecks. But it was a beautiful day here, and I knew the boys would get a kick out of the animals, so off we went.


And I was right, they did love the animals. Connor was especially taken with these baby chicks, and Casey was greatly impressed with the World's Largest Pig (to which he exclaimed, "That's the biggest pig I've ever seen!" as though he's spent a lifetime on a farm caring for livestock). As you can tell from the photo, the aroma of the fair animals offended Casey's delicate palate, and Connor hardly seemed to notice.

Casey's other favorite part of the fair? The rides. I cracked up at how serious they were riding these motorcycles - it was as though they had suddenly become junior members of the Hell's Angels. Fair rides are serious business, folks.

And of course, we indulged in some fair food. A pork tenderloin sandwich for me and a massive corndog for the boys. Riley had mashed pears, but I noticed when we got home that she still managed to somehow smell like a BBQ sandwich. All in all a good day, and I was so busy watching the kids that I barely noticed the rednecks.






2 comments:

Monnica said...

Jen, that's so fun! I have found memories of that fair, as we attended it every year of our childhood...and several years of our adulthood (I don't think my parents have ever missed a year). I was just laughing about it the other day because Mom and Dad were fretting over whether they would be able to squeeze in a fair day with Doug inbetween their summer travels and the start of his school.

And what's nice about this one is that it's a state fair. We have a county fair nearby, but it dulls in comparison.

Did you get a chance to visit the diary barn? We also loved eating the fresh ice cream and marveling at the butter sculptures.

Jen said...

We did get some chocolate milk at the Dairy barn, which was delicious, but we missed the butter sculptures. I'm now regretting I didn't splurge on a milkshake also, because they looked really good!