Friday, May 22, 2009

Every Last Scrap




I recently hemmed a long linen dress and was left with close to half a yard of really nice material. I couldn't just chuck it, so I used it to make this little top for Riley. I also had just enough red linen left over from making myself a dress from Heather Ross' Weekend Sewing book to make her a little pair of capris to make it an outfit. I just winged it on the top - no pattern, and I adapted the Huck Finn pants pattern from Ross' book to make the capris. I was inspired by katie did's floral collar tutorial for the flowery accents on the top & pants. She wore it for the first time the other day and much to my surprise she left the flowers alone (I was sure she would relentlessly pull at them, and yet I was determined to sew them on anyway). It also felt good to make her something wearable from leftovers from other projects - I felt very efficient! Nothing like getting all dressed up to do a little yard work:


2 comments:

Cecilly said...

Ha, yes, we must be reading the same blogs! You are so talented with sewing -- this outfit is adorable! Just making the flowers will be stretching my skills. A question about washing: do the edges of the flowers fray? I am going to choose my fabric and want to know what to expect.

Jen said...

I haven't washed the outfit yet, but I'm inclined to say the flowers will fray. My plan was to wash on delicate and line dry, so when I do I'll let you know how bad the fraying is. However, I've been seeing alot of raw edges as a detail on some higher-end designs, so I'm hoping that it just gives the look some more character!