Friday, December 11, 2009

The Angel Tree

angeltree-0003

Last night we received the official pathology results from my surgery, and it was everything we hoped. Only 1 of the 32 lymph nodes removed contained cancer, and all the cancer removed from my breast had excellent margins. What this means is that as I sit here typing this post, I am doing it cancer-free. I will know more next week what implications these results have on any systemic treatments I receive, but I have to believe that treatment to keep cancer from returning has to be easier than treatment to kill existing cancer (although maybe I'm just naive and hopeful!). Regardless, I am delighted and relieved to receive these results. All those prayers seem to have worked!!

How am I feeling? Tuesday morning I felt like someone had ripped my arms off, beat me in the chest with them, and then stapled them back on my body. Since I have been home I have moments of feeling almost normal, and some moments of feeling really lousy. It is definitely not the lateral recovery that I expected - to feel bad, then little by little better and better until I felt like myself again. This experience is more like a roller coaster, one minute way up and the next way down, a few loopdy-loops thrown in for fun, and then back to the start again. Luckily, I have found that I share something in common with Barack Obama, which is that we both have personal physicians who attend to us 24 hours a day. Rob has been amazing in his care for me - I know that I could not have done this without him, and that my recovery will probably be faster as a result of his care. I think it has been an unusual experience for him, to be on both sides of care at the same time as both a doctor and the husband of a patient, and I know it has been hard. Like I said on Father's Day, they say good men are hard to find, but I was lucky to find mine when I did and smart enough not to let go.

So many people have sent ornaments to me, even people I only know as acquaintances, and I have been dumbfounded by the show of love and support. The photo above is of my little angel tree. I put it up in my room and Rob has been plugging it in for me while I'm in there resting, and it makes me smile. The other really encouraging thing about this photo is that I took it this morning, MYSELF. Which means I can hold my camera! I am restricted to my small lens, and I can't exactly chase a toddler around the park for a photo session right now and it's not the best shot I've ever taken, but I can document this experience in the best way I know how, and just knowing that makes me feel better.

Again, to everyone reading this who has prayed for my family, who has sent ornaments and cards and emails, who have blessed me with your positive thoughts - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I don't believe I'll ever be able to fully convey what is has meant to me, but please know how much it is all appreciated. Please imagine me giving you all a big hug, albeit a very light hug as my arms still mainly feel like they are being held on with staples!

4 comments:

Mike and Chelsea said...

Such GREAT news!!!!!!!! Love to you all! Chelsea

Socialwrkr18 said...

Great news, Jen. We've been praying for you. Cannot wait to see you again soon. Steph and I are thinking of you and the family. Love you.

Christa said...

I was thinking, you should have Rob put it up on one of the barstool from the basement so that you can see it better from the bed! Love you much!

Tom Britt said...

that's good news on your tests! We're all still rooting for "team alderman."