Tuesday, December 15, 2009



Perhaps it is all the medical talk going on around here, but the book above is the one Casey chose last week during his weekly trip to the school library. I can't come up with any other feasible reason why a 5 yr-old boy would check out a book on the brain and nervous system when there were so many other choices - books on Star Wars, bugs, and endless other titles more appropriate for him. When we sat down yesterday to read the book, it definitely didn't read like the typical book for a kindergartner, and I have to admit I got lost a bit in the neurons and synapses and cells (it's been a loooooonnngg time since that human anatomy class!). But Casey listened intently and asked good questions. He has asked me numerous times, "Mommy, how did you get cancer?", and so I'm wondering if this book isn't an attempt on his part to find an answer, since honestly I don't have one. Anyway, I'm all brushed up now on the three sections of the brain, so that's good, and it gives me a little giggle every time I look at it to think of Casey picking that book out of all the others in the library. He might think he's going to be a rock & roller when he grows up, but I'm thinking it's more likely we have a future doctor on our hands.

No comments: