Monday, April 19, 2010

Still Breathing

I got an email from one of my girlfriends this afternoon that said, "You haven't posted anything to your blog in a couple of weeks and it always makes me LOL, sometimes ROFL. Entertain me young lady! But secretly i looked today and the last date you posted something was like the 3rd and i hoped you are feeling ok." And two things stuck out about this message. One - I have no idea what "ROFL" means (seriously, I know it acknowledges that I am 100 years old, but can someone please explain this one to me? Because I don't think it means what I think it means) UPDATE - I googled it, and for those of you living in the dark ages with me it means "rolling on the floor laughing". I was right, it didn't mean what I thought it meant. Two - that maybe some of my friends out there don't call because they don't want to bother me in case I'm sick, but they are checking here to make sure I'm doing OK. If anyone falls into that category, I'm sorry. I sometimes feel that if I don't anything interesting or new to write about then I just shouldn't, but given the circumstances perhaps I should at least update and let folks know I'm still breathing. I'm still breathing. I have received 5 rounds of Taxol chemo, and so far things have gone as well as I could have ever hoped. Taxol is a much kinder drug than the A/C, and although they give me enough Benedryl to sedate a horse with each round, I have escaped any major side effects. I have experienced some "chemo brain", like forgetting where I put things (although, thankfully not the children - I always remember where I put the children!) and forgetting to post to my blog to let people know I'm still breathing. I'm still breathing. Wait - did I write that already? See, this is what I'm dealing with.

Aside from the chemo brain, the other thing keeping me from posting has been that fact that I have been plain old busy. First, there was Spring Break week where I was home by myself with the kids. I don't think that needs any further explanation. Second, my parents were in town last week to help and to attend the Race for the Cure, and my sister & I had secretly plotted to surprise them with her & my two nephews coming in for the weekend. Trying to throw them off the scent for a whole week was surprisingly more work than I had thought. We were successful though, and we had a great weekend.

The walk was awesome. Over 41,000 people participated in the walk Saturday morning. They had a "Survivor Village", and we were treated very well there. They had Starbucks coffee & breads, some goodies for us, and a photo booth to take pictures with your co-survivors. I wished that the weather had been warmer (it was VERY chilly!) but at least the sun was shining bright and the skies were clear. And look, here I am with Indianapolis Colts Center Jeff Saturday!


Jeff, along with fellow offensive linemen Ryan Diem and Kyle DeVan, signed autographs in the survivor's tent before the race. Pretty cool. And after the Peyton incident last summer, that means I am only 7 players away from meeting the starting offense for the Colts. Reggie Wayne, you've been warned.


I wish I had handed the camera off to someone to snap a photo of my whole family there, but I did remember to have a photo taken with the 5 of us. And I don't think there was a little girl there in a cuter pink outfit than Riley.


If only she had stopped moving long enough for me to get a decent photo. All the kids had on t-shirts that said "I wear pink for my Mommy", and they were very sweet in them. It really was a great day.

So, that's what has kept me from updating the blog. I'll try to do a little better. Unless I forget, which is entirely possible. Did I mention I'm still breathing?

2 comments:

tiffany said...

Glad to hear you're still breathing and have been keeping busy! I really enjoy reading your blog as well! Looks like Riley kept her cute bow in her hair....yay!

CKM said...

Thanks for the updates Jen, so glad to hear that the Walk went so well - we were thinking of you! If they keep still or not, all your pictures are so awesome and tell a story - I noticed the bow as well! :)
Can't wait to see you in the Oaks Parade - love ya!