Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Movin' Out


We're here! We're really, really here in the new house in Carmel, IN. And let me tell you, it wasn't easy. The wound is still a little too fresh to recount the entire saga of our "move from hell", but I can offer these three criteria by which to judge if the moving company you hired is run by a complete psychopath:


1) At 12:30pm on moving day, with nearly half of you belongings packed up on his truck, does your mover suggest, "If there was anything you were thinking of leaving behind, I'd go ahead and do it."



2) At 8:30pm on Day 1 of the move (which is the same time the mover had promised he would have you moved and unloaded to the new house) does your mover pull away from the old house with all of your patio furniture and your grill bungee-corded to the back of his truck to store your belongings at his house overnight?


3) Does your mover (who also happens to be president and owner of this moving company) arrive on Day 2 of the move (there was never supposed to be a Day 2) three hours late and still drunk from the night before?


If you answer yes to any of these questions, then your mover is definately certifiable. On the good news side of things, we haven't found any major breaks with any of our stuff, and everything did make it here (so we think).


We love the new neighborhood and have already met many of our neighbors - Casey even attended his first birthday party last week for a little girl across the street. I'm starting to locate where everything is and can now find the essentials (Kroger, Target, Costco, etc.) on my own. I have to admit to feeling a little homesick for the old house and Louisville - I miss the familiarity of the city and having my things in all their places.


I've also been working hard this week on the new photography website, and I should have it live by the end of the week. It's really looking good, and I have already lined up a new client (a neighbor is due with a baby boy in a few weeks and asked me to do a newborn shoot). This area is full of small children and so I am hoping it will be a good move for my business. I have ordered some new equipment and am working on a marketing campaign, so stay tuned for updates on Alderman Photography.

I need to get back to unpacking and trying to keep the kids off the boxes (my living room is a bit of a death trap right now!). We're here, and I guess we're Hoosiers now (I even have the Colts license plate to prove it!).

No comments: