Saturday, January 24, 2009

Confession

I have a confession to make, and it's a tough one. I am totally, completely, inexplicably hooked on the Twilight books. This is so embarrassing - what's next, a Jonas Brothers CD? I blame my friends and co-book club members for getting me started. They're both hooked as well, and suggested that we go to a late show of the recent movie adaptation Friday night, and if I was going to see the movie I might as well read the book. Right? I'm a pretty fast reader, so I didn't think it would be a problem. But when Mindy dropped it off on Thursday afternoon and I realized I had to knock out 500 pages in a day, I had doubts. 
Fast forward to Friday evening and me cooking dinner, serving dinner, eating dinner, and giving baths all one-handed while trying to finish the last 3 chapters of the book before the movie. It's truly a wonder I didn't shampoo the chicken and saute one of the kids, but as we pulled into the theater parking lot I put the damn thing down with only 20 pages to go, and I was addicted. Why didn't I just give up and see the movie without finishing? Because it was good. I hate to admit it. I had no interest in reading these books, they were for teenage girls not 33 yr-old moms. I had no interest in seeing the movie (I haven't seen a movie in the theater in about a year and a half - I think I would have agreed to go see "Ishtar" if they asked me) but I have to admit I now see what all the fuss was about. It's taken a great deal of will-power to not go across the street first thing this morning and grab the next book, New Moon, from Mindy, but I suspect I will have it in my hot little hands by nap time today.

 I suppose what concerns me about my newfound fanaticism is not what it says about the quality of the books, but what it says about my taste level in literary entertainment. I guess underneath the poopy diapers and minivan there's still a bit of teenage girl left in me, and since I'm not going to stop reading now, I guess I have to be OK with that. 

Hi, my name is Jenny, and I like the Twilight books.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, my name is Christina and I too like the Twilight books! My friends from OKC convinced me to read the series even going so far as to ordering the books and having them delivered to my doorstep. I stayed up late into the night knowing that Matthew would be waking up for a bottle in only a couple of hours. Man, the four books go by fast. I am a little sad that I finished as quickly as I did. Now what do I do? So funny.